Think about the structure features that influence the design and implementation of PR projects such as demographics, political structure, economic structure, mass media (control, outreach and access), infrastructure, legal structure, social structure and level of activism.
Think about the cultural variations that influence the design and implementation of the PR projects such as individualism, low/high context, uncertainty/avoidance, short-term/long-term orientation. Other cultural factors will include religions, education, arts, sport, language, festivals, attitudes to women etc.
Think about the basic communication components that may be influenced by national or cultural features such as verbal communication, visual communication, group dynamics and decision-making practices.
Ref: Tench, R and Yeomans L. (2006) Exploring Public Relations, Harlow, Essex: Prentice Hall
It will also help understand your target country if you can answer this quiz:
- What is the size of the country, population and area?
- What are the top 3 or 5 cities, and why?
- Who is the President/Leader of the Country?
- What are the main political parties?
- What are the official languages?
- What is the ethnic makeup of the country?
- What is the climate and weather throughout the year?
- What are some of the important geographic features (rivers, mountains, lakes)?
- What are the major religions?
- What countries are neighbors?
- What is the currency and exchange rate?
- What are the countries biggest industries; national and export?
- Who are your competitors, and how long have they been established in the country?
- What are 3 significant issues affecting your industry in this country?
- What are 3 significant national issues that are in the news in the last 2 weeks?
- What national holidays or events will be celebrated during your visit